BECOME A VOLUNTEER
Requirements for volunteers
- Applicants must be over 18 years old.
- They must be able to communicate fluently in English and must be covered by a personal health insurance policy.
- The minimum period of participation is 5 weeks. Exceptionally, returning volunteers can join their projects for 4 weeks.
- A longer stay of volunteers i.e. more than 6 weeks is recommended as it contributes greatly to the success of projects.
- Returning volunteers are welcome as they enhance team performance with their experience.
- A valid driver’s license greatly contributes to the functioning of the project.
A combination of participation in more than one projects is possible if the duration of stay in the second/ third of them is 4 weeks or longe
- Applicants must be in very good health and in good physical shape due to the projects' physically-demanding tasks and living conditions.
- Applicants must confirm their acceptance and agreement that complying with measures against the spread of COVID 19 is obligatory in the projects. The measures put in place are based on the experience gained during 2020. It is stressed that new regulations affecting our operations might be introduced by competent national authorities at any point in time. These will need to be implemented in the best possible way, following the instructions of the Project Officers.
- Volunteers are selected on an individual basis. As a rule only two or three friends can be accepted at the same period of time and project at maximum.
- Only those volunteers who have been formally accepted will be allowed to participate in the projects.
- The application process includes the following steps:
- filling in and submitting the official ARCHELON online application form,
- the receipt of an acceptance letter by email from ARCHELON. The acceptance letter includes a list of additional requirements relating to items such as payment of fees, a certificate from a doctor verifying the status of a volunteer’s health, etc, which must be submitted in a period of 30 days following the acceptance letter.
- Volunteers must submit all the documents listed on the acceptance letter by email and pay the fee, in order for their participation to be confirmed by ARCHELON. Please make sure your participation is confirmed (in other words, that you have completed all the requirements specified by ARCHELON in the acceptance letter) before you arrive at the project.
- Volunteers must bring their own camping gear (e.g. sleeping bag, tent, torch, alarm clock, etc).
- Volunteers must be prepared to share in a communal life, and to live and perform their duties in both populated and secluded areas, often as members of small teams and usually under harsh conditions. Although relevant experience is not necessary, the ability to live and co-operate with people of different cultures and backgrounds is essential.
- Volunteers are trained and supervised by field leaders and experienced project members. They must be prepared to participate in every aspect of the project. Duties are allocated by the field leaders and may include duties throughout the night or long hours during the day.
- Fieldwork includes duties in the heat (sometimes for up to 6 hours), and walking long distances or up/downhill to reach some of the sites. With an average level of fitness, this is manageable, but please be prepared that the duties can be hard and exhausting. With the right attitude and the right team, it is still fun!
- Time off is arranged in half or full days off and is granted according to the needs of the project. The general rule is one day off for approximately every ten days of participation and days off cannot be taken in a row.