Field Coordinator for the AMVRAKIKOS Project needed
ARCHELON is seeking an enthusiastic, self-motivated, organised and target orientated individual to fill the Field Coordinator Position and lead the sea turtle capture-mark-recapture project of Amvrakikos Gulf for the 2022 season.
ARCHELON conducts an exciting monitoring project in Amvrakikos Gulf, Western Greece, which is one of the most important feeding grounds for sea turtles in Greece. Already running for almost 20 years, the project collects population data for sea turtles found in the area through capture - mark - re-capture (rodeo) technique.
Amvrakikos Gulf is a relatively shallow, semi-enclosed marine area, is a wetland of International importance and provides habitat to numerous protected, and some of them endangered species of flora and fauna including birds, dolphins, fish, crustaceans and invertebrates.
Duration: 2 months - Starting 29th of June and ending 31st of August 2022
Location: Kopraina village, Amvrakikos Gulf (nearest towns Arta, Preveza)
Tasks: The Amvrakikos Field Coordinator will have to:
- Lead a small team of 4-5 volunteers in a remote location, provide training to volunteers and keep them motivated
- Carry out daily surveys on boat - catch, mark and release loggerheads and green turtles found in the area
- Hold responsibility for collection of accurate scientific data
- Hold responsibility for keeping the monitoring equipment in excellent condition throughout the season
- Hold responsibility for the project logistics, organizing of week schedule, food shopping, etc.
- Over 24 years of age, a capable swimmer in excellent physical condition
- Trained in rodeo technique or similar sea turtle capture protocol and experienced in handling and tagging wild animals, especially sea turtles
- Experienced in leading a team, able to work in challenging environment and weather conditions (heat, under sun, humidity, long hours)
- Very good communication skills in English, both oral and written, and fluent in excel databases
- Holder of a driving licence and basic knowledge of driving a small boat engine
- Unfortunately, this position is only addressed to EU citizens
- A valid First aid certificate
- Previous experience in ARCHELON’s projects - Ideally in Amvrakikos Project
- Being comfortable with sharing living conditions
Benefits: Accommodation & food (in a communal scheme), as well as a stipend of 400€ are offered by ARCHELON
Please fill an application https://www.archelon.gr/files/FieldLeaders/application_formFLs21_eng-fin.pdf and send it to email@example.com along with your CV
Closing Date for applications: April 17, 2022
Find more about the project here: https://www.archelon.gr/eng/projects12.php?mid=3&mid2=48
For any questions regarding the position and project, please contact the Project Manager of Amvrakikos Project, Galini Samlidou at firstname.lastname@example.org